Sunday, September 27, 2026

The Strangest Dream

All the talking heads are going on about the midterm elections as if they were going to proceed as elections have always proceeded since 1788. I had a nightmare last night, which I’m afraid may turn into our reality come November.

 

I dreamt that the Speaker of the House and the president pro tem of the Senate refused to accept the votes of states and districts where democrats won. I dreamt that when people gathered to protest that action, the leader of the executive branch declared a state of emergency and nationalized and deployed the National Guard to protect Congress. Not that the demonstrations were violent—nothing at all like January of 2021. But there were crowds jeering and cheering, and that set off the executive branch.

 

I dreamt that when the demonstrators persisted in exercising their right to peaceably assemble, the National Guard was ordered to fire on the crowd. Many of the Guardsmen refused to follow the order, but many did. And to ensure that orders would be followed, the executive deployed regular Army troops in support of the “loyal” National Guards troops.

 

I dreamt that at the Pentagon all the top brass that objected to the orders from the executive were not just dismissed but imprisoned. Armed guards were posted in the Pentagon to ensure that there’d be no response from any recalcitrant officer.

 

I dreamt that the House and Senate leadership appointed their own choice of representatives and senators. I dreamt that representatives and senators who objected to what was being done were jailed, declared traitors by the executive, and hanged, their chairs given over to people appointed by the leadership.

 

I dreamt that when finally a case came to the courts, the SCOTUS decreed that under the theory of a unitary executive, everything that had happened was entirely constitutional.

No comments:

Post a Comment